Join Ghost Fishing New Zealand for another exciting Wellington Cleanup, this time at Miramar Wharf.
This will be an ocean and shore based clean up once again targeting rubbish in and around the Wellington foreshore.
Scuba divers, free divers and shore crew all needed! Be prepared to get wet and dirty!
DATE: Sunday 1 December 2019.
9.00am - Registrations open
10:00am - Briefing
10:30am - Divers in the water.
2.00pm- clean-up and pack down.
LOCATION: Miramar Wharf, we will park and meet in the carpark area between Miramar Wharf and Burnham Wharf – look for the GFNZ signs.
Please note: Miramar Wharf is condemned thus no attendees will be on the wharf and divers will need to restrict activities to areas around the wharf (not under it).
Scuba Divers who wish to participate must have a minimum of 50 logged and be comfortable working in low / zero visibility.
Scuba and Free Divers must provide their own gear and tanks. If you also have your own catch bag(s) or float boat for collecting rubbish, please bring this along and ensure they are named.
Some SCUBA and Free divers will enter the water via the shore to target the inner (shore side) of the wharf, with others entering the water on the seaward site via a crane barge.
If you would like to join in the fun and participate as part of the shore crew, you will need to make sure you are wearing fully covered shoes and bring a pair of gardening gloves....... also be prepared to get down and dirty!
Shore Crew are needed to:
1) Supporting the divers, monitoring positions, and ensuring the safety of the other shore crew members;
2) Picking up rubbish from the shore and surrounding area;
3) Collecting rubbish from the divers and delivering this to the decritter station;
5) Recording rubbish collected;
6) Clean up and pack down;
7) Other tasks as needed.
ALL PARTICIPANTS, SHORE CREW AND DIVERS, MUST REGISTER ON ARRIVAL.
• This is a free family friendly event, but children must be supervised at all times by an adult.
• Closed toe footwear must be worn for safety.
• Please bring your own hand protection (gardening gloves or similar).
• Don’t forget your own water bottle and bring sunscreen if it’s a warm day.
• Dress for the weather (warm clothes and jackets) – we go ahead rain or shine.
• There will also be plenty of work for non-divers to get involved.
Ghost Fishing would like to invite all their supporters to a family friendly ‘pot luck’ barbeque at Shortland Park Island Bay in Wellington on the 14th of December.
The playground is there for children, and there's plenty of sunny/shady picnic spots for families.
Bring along something to cook and perhaps a salad to share - the GFNZ crew will bring along BBQ’s for cooking - We will fire these up at 12pm.
Before that, if you're looking for a fun time out with the family check out the Island Bay Marine Education Center first to visit some of the critters that GFNZ have rescued and re-homed. Chat with the crew there, about the cool critters that GFNZ find and rescue during clean-up events and how we can do our bit to protect our wonderful marine environment (small charge applies at the MEC).
Gold coin donation payable on the day to help GFNZ keep cleaning up those oceans!
If it rains we will shift across the road to the surf club.
See you there.