2018 NZUA Photo Comp Winners
Congratulations Photo Competition Winners!
NZ Underwater's annual Photo Competition has closed, and congratulates the following winners!
There were some technical difficulties which, for fairness to all entrants, required the voting portion of the competition to be run twice, resulting in two sets of winners for each category.
- CLOSE UP/MACRO category winner (1): Alexander Stammers
- CLOSE UP/MACRO category winner (2): Sarah Milicich
- DIVER STUDY category winner (1): Alexander Stammers
- DIVER STUDY category winner (2): Jack Preston
- FISH STUDY category winner (1): Sarah Milicich
- FISH STUDY category winner (2): Toby Dickson
- ANY UNDERWATER SCENE category winner (1 & 2): Craig Johnston
- WRECK category winner 1: Rob Wilson
- WRECK category winner 2: Ian Sherwood
The OVERALL WINNER was Simone Matucci, as judged by renowned underwater photographer, Andy Belcher, who said, 'This image really has the wow factor. Beautifully composed and full of action. Even the pattern on the wetsuit fits the scene perfectly."
Andy also gave a special mention to Grant Thomas' image as runner up: "it's so quirky and so different! Its also very cleverly composed. Its also got wow factor!"
Andy Belcher (Legend Photography) can be found on his website here or contacted via email email@example.com
Winners from each category (for both first and second campaigns) and the Overall winner have been notified and will receive their $75 prize by the end of the week. Well done everyone!
There were a record 108 entries this year, by 28 photographers, and there are some incredible images. To see all of the entries, go to the album on our Facebook page here.
We thank all participants, and apologise for the technical error. We will ensure this error will not be repeated in future competitions.
Special note: Craig Johnston asked his winnings to be donated to the Whangarei Native Bird Recovery Centre. If you would like to donate, go to their website here. Thank you Craig for your kind support for the blue penguins, as featured in your (twice!) winning picture!