2018 NZUA Annual Photography Competition
Put your snapping skills to the test with NZ Underwater’s annual Photography Competition!
You don’t need to be a pro or have the best gear – anyone can do it!
Your submission needs to be an original image of a New Zealand underwater scene, taken by you in the last 12 months. The five individual categories will be judged by total ‘Likes’ on Facebook, with the Overall winner selected by renowned underwater photographer.
- Diver’s study (diver or free diver subject over 16yo) – Prize of $75
- Fish study (marine life subject) – Prize of $75
- Close-up/Macro (any marine subject) – Prize of $75
- Any underwater scene – Prize of $75
- Youth (photographer under 18yo) – Prize of $75
PLUS Overall Winner – Prize of $100!
Submissions are open from now until June 10, and the winners will be announced by Thursday 28th.
HOW TO ENTER:
Post photo to the New Zealand Underwater Association (NZUA) Facebook page, or in the comments below. Add the category and photo description to the comment. Tag NZ Underwater by typing @New Zealand Underwater in the comments, and clicking our icon in the pop-up. This will notify us of your entry.
Alternatively, you can email your submission, including your name, contact information, category and submission to NZUnderwater@nzua.org.nz and we will post it for you. One entry per email please.
- All submissions must be original images of a New Zealand scene, taken between 1 June 2017 and 31 May 2018.
- There must be no watermark, and you must own the copyright on submitted images.
- In taking photos, you must respect and honour the wildlife (no harming of environment or inhabitants).
- Contestants must compose the photograph and trigger the camera themselves. The name provided must be that of the photographer. If submitting on behalf of a photographer (i.e. for ‘Youth’ category) please state so with submission.
- If submitting in the ‘Youth’ category, you must be able to provide proof the entrant is under 18 years old.
- Images can be enhanced but no imaging to be added or removed from photos.
- Images will be uploaded to Facebook via the NZ Underwater Facebook page for public voting. For a vote to count, it needs to be ‘Liked’ on the NZ Underwater Facebook page, so sharing your own image independently will not work. You are welcome to share and ‘Like’ your own image, via the NZUA Facebook page.
- There is no limit to the number of entries you can submit.
- The image/s do not need to be submitted in high resolution, but a high-res version (minimum width 1920 pixels at 300 DPI) must be available on request.
- By entering the competition, you agree that NZ Underwater can use the submitted images, in original and edited form, in promotional materials (website, newsletter, campaigns, etc). Images will not be used outside of NZUA without your express permission.
ALL JUDGING DECISIONS ARE FINAL.
It’s worth a shot!
The above photos are the winning shots from the 2017 Photography Competition (left to right):
Sam Wild: Diver Study
Simone Matucci: Close Up/Macro
Laura Christian: Fish Study
Belen Sdg: Underwater Scene
Ian Sherwood: Overall Winner