NZUA recently lodged an Official Information Request with MPI to get updates on a proposed temporary fishing closure around the Astrolabe Reef, as submitted by the Motiti Rohe Moana Trust.
In response, MPI sent the following:
"In reply to your email of 17 October, a decision has not yet been made in regard to the proposed temporary closure around Astrolabe Reef. MPI is clarifying some legal issues and preparing advice for the Minister."
"Thank you for your continued interest. Please contact ... if you have any further questions."
Currently, it is understood MPI has moved to appeal a decision by the Environment Court allowing Councils to legislate and protect local biodiversity in cases such as the Astrolabe Reef.
While the NZUA has no further information to offer at this stage it continues to monitor action on Astrolabe Reef closely and will forward updates to its members via all it communication channels. Any further action will considered carefully in conjunction with the member clubs.
Return to NZU